Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Crowning Of The Sorcerer King

While I was placing my order with Metal Blade for the newest Cannibal Corpse record, I decided to add the new Sorcerer album to the cart as well. I mean, we are coming to the end of 2017, so I might as well, try to pick up a few more new releases before I have to put together my End Of A Year post.

I was digging Sorcerer's debut album, In The Shadow Of The Inverted Cross, when it was released a couple years ago, so I was down to check out the new album. The band draws some serious influence from the Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath, and since I love those records...and happened to be spinning Sabbath's Headless Cross repeatedly at the time I was in the Metal Blade store, it just made sense to finally grab the latest vinyl offering from Sorcerer.

With the first single from the album, Sirens, Sorcerer definitely keep that Tony Martin Sabbath/melodic doom sound intact. This stuff is really good, but goddamn, the songs are so long that I can get a little bored by the end of it. Outside of Sirens and an instrumental track, the rest of the songs clock in well over 6 minutes each...which can be too much sometimes.

Hand numbered and limited to 200 for the great looking clear/black swirl colored vinyl.

No comments: