Sunday, November 26, 2017

Heads Shoveled Off

My son listens to some of the shittiest modern hip hop, and I recently had to have a conversation with him about a couple of posters that he wanted for his room. One of them had a guy throwing up double middle fingers, and the other one was a close up of some dude's face...with a blunt blazing between his lips, and a cloud of smoke around his head. Nope. No fucking way. I tried to explain the power of putting forth an image of positivity and not falling into the bullshit traps that society sets up for us...and he quickly threw back in my face that "my music is about killing people". Shit. How do I talk myself out of this one? Images of a drug culture are stupid, but songs of mass murder and mutilation are cool? I tried to distinguish the difference between horror movie imagery, and the glorification of real life drug stupidity, but I'm certain that any words fell on deaf ears.

Then, as if on queue, the new Cannibal Corpse record arrives on my doorstep.

I'm not huge on Death Metal, but I really enjoyed the last Cannibal Corpse album, A Skeletal Domain, so I was excited when it was announced that the band were releasing a new album this year. Goddamn. A Skeletal Domain was three years ago? I could have sworn that it was just last year...or the year before that at the most!

Cannibal Corpse don't offer any surprises with the latest album, Red Before Black...they just keep hitting you with some brutal Death Metal. I don't think it is as good as the last couple of albums, but then again, for me, Cannibal Corpse albums are more of an acquired taste, and it takes them some time to sink in...so who knows, I may warm up to it with repeated listens.

Transparent red and clear split vinyl is limited to 500.

No comments: