Monday, October 02, 2017

1987 Is Taking Over

I love making lists. Putting together my annual Top 10 is something that I look forward to all year. Ranking records, and adjusting their placement brings out the obsessive nerd in me.

For a while now, I've been tossing around the idea of taking a trip back in time, and ranking the albums from years long gone. With so many holes in my record collection, my thought was that if I can rank them all in a given year, it would help me prioritize and focus on picking up those classics that I still don't own.

With this year marking the 30th anniversary for a lot of my favorite albums as a kid, I decided to kick off my list making with 1987.

As soon as I started putting the list together, two things became clear very quickly...one, with so many classics from my teenage years, 1987 may just be one of my favorite years for music ever...and two, I was missing an embarrassing amount of these albums on vinyl.

With the facts laid out in front of me, I got to work on my latest obsession...filling holes from '87.

For the longest time, I've held the opinion that Overkill stand as one of my favorite Thrash bands of all time. Sure, other bands have released albums superior to Overkill, but with their recent output, and their classic run from 1985 through at least 1989's The Years Of Decay, I have no problem giving the crown to them.

Yet, even as a total Overkill fanboy, my collection for the band is quite thin. I've made some false starts in picking some of those classic records, but I have never stuck with it, and after quick searches of Discogs and eBay, I typically push them to the side, with the promise that I'll get them next month.

Step one in my 1987 mission...quit fucking around with that Overkill collection.

After procrastinating on this record for so many years, it feels great to finally add it to the collection.

4 comments:

mcs said...

Never heard this band, but for fun I decided to give it a listen whilst sitting here editing photos. It is not what I expected from the cover. Other than that, I'm not sure what I make of it.

mcs said...

Ok, so I made it through 15 minutes and now I feel like I need a break.

Mike said...

Well done. I'll give you bonus points for giving it a try!

Doug W said...

I graduated from high school in 1987. Amazing year for metal and especially crossover.
Accused, Blood Feast, COC, Infernal Majesty, Death, Napalm Death, Possessed, Testament, VoiVod....
I'm looking forward to this compulsion!