Friday, September 22, 2017

Iron Maiden Remasters: Studio

A couple of years ago, Iron Maiden started reissuing their back catalog on black vinyl. This covered the band's first eight albums...from 1980's self titled debut, through Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son that was originally released in 1988. This was the band's classic period, and since I have my original pressings, I paid no attention to these reissues.

When there was talk earlier this year, that Maiden were going to finish their vinyl reissue campaign, that was when I sat up and started paying attention. I love the Maiden "reunion" albums, which started with Brave New World in 2000, but up until 2015's Book Of Souls, the band annoyingly would only release the vinyl option on picture disc. It was maddening, but as the only option, I stepped up to buy them every time. To finally have a regular black vinyl option, was like a gift from the gods.

Of all the "reunion" era albums, when all is said and done, Dance Of Death is probably my favorite. There isn't a weak spot on this album, and I still never tire of it. Shame about that cover art though.

Dropping the needle on the black vinyl, and comparing it with the initial picture disc pressing for this record, the improvement in sound quality was obvious, and reaffirmed my stance that picture discs are garbage.

With each new Iron Maiden album since reuniting with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith, I would inevitably think that it was my favorite since they'd gotten back with together, and A Matter Of Life And Death was no exception. I placed this one above Dance Of Death and Brave New World when it was released in 2006, but as time has marched on, this one probably ranks last in my list of the "reunion era". That is no knock on the album, as I love all Maiden records, it is just the one that I reach for the least.

The last studio album in the Maiden reissue campaign was 2010's The Final Frontier. It has been a blast revisiting these records, and now I'm torn if I should bother to keep those picture discs.

No comments: