Saturday, September 30, 2017

I Saw Jesus At McDonalds

As the history of this blog has shown, I'm a Metal and Hardcore kid through and through...but every once in a while, my resolve will slip, and you'll see some cracks in that foundation, and it will reveal some weird shit.

As a teenager, I wasn't too concerned with genre labels...if it was loud, obnoxious, and had the possibility to offend, I'd probably be down. Case in point, Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper.

Mojo was goofy as hell and liked to take the occasional dig at Republicans, so teenage me thought those records were great...however, they had been largely forgotten about after I was out of college, just sitting on my CD shelves and collecting over 20 years of dust. After digging out some other off-the-wall stuff, like Big Black and Butthole Surfers, last year, it got me thinking about what other oddball albums I was listening to back in those days. That brought me those old Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper CDs.

I wasn't sure if I was going to still enjoy them, but man, revisiting that first album was a blast. Jesus At McDonalds, I'm In Love With Your Girlfriend, Moanin' With Your Mama...while they might not be classics, it sure notched up my nostalgia for those younger, more innocent times...and since I was able to pick it up on vinyl for under $10, I decided to just roll with it and grab a copy.

While I was in a Mojo mood, and checking out those albums on Discogs, I noticed a listing for the Frenzy album. While I was familiar with a few Mojo Nixon albums, I realized that I'd never heard their second album. With this discovery, it was time to fire up Soulseek and download a copy.

I thought that I might get bored after one listen, but man, there is something about singing along to the lyrics to I Hate Banks that just puts a smile on my face and puts me in a good mood..and for that reason alone, I picked up another cheap Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper record.

No comments: