Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The State I'm In

My biggest surprise from last year was the new Rough Kids album. I'd never heard of the band before, but they came along at the right time, and fit that late 70's punk sound that I was obsessing over at the time.

That Rough Kids album went all the way to number one on my Best of 2016 list. I loved that record, but held back from rushing out to scoop up their 2013 debut album, The State I'm In. I wanted to fully soak in that new record, and didn't want to somehow dilute that by adding their first album into the mix too soon. So I waited it out a full year, before I decided the time was right to finally check out that first Rough Kids album.

The State I'm In fits that same '77 Punk sound, at times reminding me of the first album from The Adverts. How is it that a newer band can play a style of Punk that is 40 years old, and still have it sound fresh and vital?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You get me in the state of wanting to hear this, Mike!