Monday, July 24, 2017

Sunshine Seems Important

Back in 2009/2010, when I was at the height of my record collecting frenzy, and buying multiple copies of just about every new release, one my go-to record labels was Just Another Day. The label specialized in multiple colored vinyl pressings, and at the time I had a mindset of "more is better", so I was loving the insanity of it.

The label eventually closed up shop, and then changed hands with Rune taking over and then changing the name to Never Back Down Records.

I wasn't really interested in the first Never Back Down release, and when the label started talking about their second record, an album from a band named Molly, I thought that I might be skipping this one as well. With the label making comparisons to Husker Du and Dinosaur Jr, I felt like this Molly record would hold zero interest for me. Still, I was listening to a bunch of new music at the time, and decided that it couldn't hurt to just give a song or two a quick listen to verify that I didn't like it as much as I expected.

Much to my surprise, I found myself kind of digging the first song that I checked out. There was something about that song that kept tugging at my brain, and asking me to check it out again...and again. I wasn't sure how much I was going to really enjoy the record, but I knew that I needed to buy myself a copy and dig in deeper.

This record is a flashback to '91/'92 when I was listening to a lot of R.E.M. and Nirvana, and I can definitely hear those influences here. While I would expect this kind of thing to irritate the shit out of me, strangely enough, I find myself drawn to this record.

Number 17 out of 108 pressed on the blue/clear split for preorders.

No comments: