Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Maybe Tomorrow

There is still no greater thrill than the feeling of finally crossing off old records, that you grew up with, from your want list. It doesn't matter if it is a $150 rarity, or a $15 pick up...adding those albums, that helped shape who I am today, to the collection, still provides me with a charge that tempts me to sell my kids on the black market, and buy more records with the $50 that I'd get for them.

Insted were a huge part of my transition from Metal into Hardcore around 1990 or so. I wasn't tough or hard like the Slapshot or Cro-Mags guys, and when I saw the pictures of Insted, and read their interviews...they seemed like a band that I could relate to. Insted were MY band, and really helped shape my mindset. I hung on their every word, and their songs Feel Their Pain and Maybe Tomorrow were the major catalyst that pushed me to go vegetarian. I even, in a moment of embarrassing fan boy mania, tracked down Kevinsted's phone number, and called him repeatedly, leaving messages on his answering machine, until he changed his message to something along the lines of, "If this is Mike from Maine, give me a call this Sunday at 7:00. I'll be home, and can talk then.". Hey, I'd heard rumors they had just broken up, and I was determined to find out if it was true, and take the chance to speak to one of my Hardcore heroes. Man, I was a nerd.

So yeah...Insted and their What We Believe album was huge for me as a kid, so it feels especially good to finally add the vinyl to my collection.

5 comments:

mcs said...

Haha! The story of calling up Kevin is hilarious. I need to hear more about this. I mean, what happened when you did actually speak to him at 7 on Sunday?

Mike said...

It was as awkward as you'd expect it to be. We talked a bit about Insted and why they broke up, and about what bands we were listening to (which wasn't very exciting, as neither of us really knew those bands the other was listening to). We ended up talking a few times, but in the end I'm not great at making conversation, so I stopped calling.

mcs said...

I like to think he remembers you and looks back fondly on your discussions.

Did you ever think of trying to call again? Maybe the chats would run a little smoother now you're older? haha...

Mike said...

Ha! I did catch them on one of their reunion shows, and I thought about trying to catch him, and ask him if he remembered being stalked by me...but regrettably, it didn't happen.

Nico said...

Love this band, reunion tour was pure gold too, such nice persons in that band. Wish they would reunite again.