Monday, August 08, 2016

Pinhead Summer

My musical tastes tend to change with the wind, and right now the warm summer breeze has blown me back to some of the more indie and poppy hardcore/punk sounds of the early 90's.

I'd honestly never thought that I'd be listening to Green Day again, but man, Summer seems like the perfect time to bounce around to this stuff. Once casual listen recently, and I was suddenly hooked, and spinning their early stuff daily.

Since the only Green Day vinyl that I own is their Insomniac record, I immediately hit up the Discogs Marketplace to see what I might want to get my hands on. Oh shit...there are early colored vinyl options...and they are as expensive as fuck. I kind of want to go down this road, but maybe I'll let my obsession simmer and see where it goes. In the meantime, I'll satiate some of that desire with some Pinhead Gunpowder quick and easy pick ups.

Pinhead Gunpowder was kind of an East Bay super group of the time, featuring dudes from Green Day, Fuel, Monsula, and Crimpshrine. I'd picked up a few CDs of theirs back in the mid-90's, but I recently realized that I'd never really paid any attention to their early 7 inches. I'd obviously been missing out, because their first two records are great!

Original pressing of Trundle & Spring on No Reality Records.

Pinhead Gunpowder's follow up 7 inch, 1992's Fahizah, is one of my favorites by them...a perfect blend of melody and grit.

Their cover of Big Yellow Taxi is catchy as hell, and has been stuck in my head for days.

No comments: