Saturday, April 02, 2016

Sex In '77

If you were a kid growing up in the early to mid-80's, I'm going to have to assume that the Sex Pistols were one of the first Punk bands that you were exposed to. I know they were one of my first, and man, I listened to the shit out of the cassette that I'd bought at the Mall. It was obnoxious, loud and snotty...perfect for this young, awkward teenager. The problem was, I liked it so much, that I ended up over playing it...so much so, that I've barely given them more than a passing thought for many years.

After picking up the Heartbreakers album recently, and my sudden obsession with the early records from The Damned, I suddenly found myself unable to get enough of those early punk albums...specifically albums released in 1977. It was a huge year for punk with two albums from both The Damned and Ramones, debuts from The Saints and The Clash, the aforementioned record from The Heartbreakers, and of course The Sex Pistols.

Of course I had to include the Pistols album in my '77 Punk daily playlists, and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed giving it a spin after all these years. While re-igniting my love for Never Mind The Bollocks, it occurred to me that the only copy of the album that I own is that cassette that I bought when I was around 15 years old. Time to rectify that.

The pressing info on this record is crazy. There were so many different variations it makes a collector's head spin. Even though I grabbed a copy with the solid pink back cover, and the vinyl was pressed with only 11 tracks (missing Submission), and the song EMI doesn't have the Sid Vicious credit...all which lead me to believe this is a first pressing, I suppose that there is still a chance this might not be one of the initial 1,000 pressed as some info indicates. This one didn't include the bonus 7 inch or poster...but then again, I don't think all first pressings came with them. It's all good...I'm just happy to have an original Virgin UK pressing.

4 comments:

J@screamingforrecords said...

An an album that kinda gets over looked because of the circus of the pistols but it's an absolute ripper and it's hard to deny that

mcs said...

A hugely important album for me, in terms of opening doors and my interest in music, yet I've never owned a copy on any format.

chris said...

Great buy! I only have a copy of this on a tape which I've had since the 7th grade. I'll need to rectify this soon.

Mark-Sandwell said...

First band I ever bought a record by at aged13. Definitely put me on a path away from the mainstream.certainly changed my life