Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Crypt Sermon

I'm already in my "end of the year" mode. Basically once we get to October, I start narrowing my focus to new releases from the past year. My thoughts are consumed with Top 10 lists, and I repeatedly listed to albums from the year, desperately trying to rank them from top to bottom. In addition to these records dominating my daily playlists, I'm also in a frantic search to make sure that I've checked out any new bands, to make my Top 10 as complete as possible. I hate making that Year End post at the end of December, only to find a hidden gem from the year a couple months later...so I spend theses days scouring the Bravewords messageboard, and going through reviews in Iron Fist magazine, doing my best to make sure that I haven't missed anything. I obsess, and I'm a completist. It is what I do.

As I was flipping through the review section in Iron Fist #14, I read the one for Crypt Sermon's debut LP, Out Of The Garden. I'd never even heard this band's name before, but when the review drops the terms "epic doom" and "traditional heavy metal", I'm quickly heading to soulseek to download a copy to check it out.

Oh damn! This thing blew up my daily playlist. I could not believe how great it was, and measuring it up against other releases from the year, it took a steady climb up my Best of 2015 list.

After sitting with the download for a couple of days, I knew that I was going to need a copy on vinyl. A quick search online, and I was surprised to find that my local record store had a copy in stock. Obviously, I needed to step out of work for a quick shopping trip!

No comments: