Friday, September 25, 2015

Super Deluxe Graffiti

I've been doing a good job on keeping up with the Led Zeppelin reissues. They are pretty expensive, so I can't buy each one as they are released, but I've been keeping on task, and picking them off one at at time. With the final three of the set (Presence, In Through The Out Door, and Coda) released in July, I knew I had to get off my ass and pick up Physical Graffiti that was released back in February...and with a little extra cash in my pocket from my birthday last month, the time was right to pull the trigger.

Of all the Zeppelin reissues, the one that I was looking forward to the most was Physical Graffiti...not because it is my favorite album from them, but because it was their only record that I didn't own on vinyl. It is funny...the reason why I hesitated to buy Physical Graffiti when I first started getting into Zeppelin was because it was a double LP, and well, double albums cost more, and I didn't want to commit to spending a few extra dollars to the vinyl. Now that I've gone down the slippery slope of Super Deluxe Box Sets, all bets are off and I'm throwing money out the window like it is going out of style. Here Led Zeppelin, take my money.

Each time I pick up one of these box sets, I sit down with the album, and end up walking away thinking "Damn, I've got a new favorite Led Zeppelin song". Physical Graffiti is no exception. In My Time Of Dying...holy shit what an absolute beast of an epic song! I've heard people mention about John Bonham hitting the drums hard, but I've never really paid much attention to it, but damn, he is absolutely thunderous on this song.

Again, the packaging on these records is top quality, with the sleeve a great replica of the original, complete with cutout windows. Man, bands and labels were creative in the 70's.

Obligatory bonus LP with outtakes and negative print album cover.

I love flipping through the hardcover book that is included in the box sets. The photos are amazing...showcasing how passionate Zeppelin was about their music.

Cool looking layout of the different single sleeves for Trampled Under Foot. Hell yes...what an awesome name. When I start my Metal band, I'm naming it Trampled Under Foot. "Dig that heavy metal underneath your hood..."

No comments: