Saturday, August 08, 2015

Don't Turn Your Back...On The Heretic

For most of my life, I've made attempts to stay up to date and current with new bands. "Hey look at me. I'm not old...I'm digging this new youthful hardcore band"! This year, however, I'm struggling to give a shit about remaining relevant. Sure I still get the occasional charge from discovering a new band, but for the most part, all I want to do is sit around and listen to those albums that were released when I was a teenager through the 80's. Maybe it is nostalgia, or as I sit here on my 45th birthday, maybe it is a mid-life crisis...either way, I'm just rolling with it and hitting up eBay for those Heavy Metal classics on vinyl.

When it was announced that Mike Howe was back in Metal Church, the nostalgia needle buried itself in the red, and Blessing In Disguise and Human Factor started getting daily spins.

As I was listening to Howe-era Metal Church, I suddenly remembered that he had also done an album with Heretic back in 1988. I remember my brother had the Heretic cassette, but I didn't really remember much beyond him owning a copy. I grabbed a download, and after a couple of listens, I suddenly couldn't get enough. I can't imagine why we didn't like this more back then. This this classic Mike Howe, and a great precursor to what he would do with Metal Church.

After listening to the album repeatedly for a couple of weeks, I was in desperate need to buy the vinyl. Once again, discogs came to the rescue.

Still sealed and with the hype sticker on the front...for $12 I didn't hesitate to quickly buy it.

1 comment:

J@screamingforrecords said...

Your birthday is two days before mine a fellow Leo. Happy Birthday man!!