Saturday, December 28, 2013

Through The Never

Sometimes, I don't even know why I do the things that I do. I'm not a huge fan of live albums, and rarely listen to them, but when Metallica announced that they were releasing a triple LP live recording to support their Through The Never movie, I found myself rushing to pick one up when they were made available. Why? I like everything Metallica has done...from Kill Em All through Death Magnetic...but the only live stuff that I really care about would be from the first few albums. Give me a shitty sounding Metallica bootleg from '84 over a nice new professional live recording any day.

So what would possess me to rush out to grab this new live album? It's got to be the packaging. Even though I'll probably listen to this no more than 10 times in my entire lifetime, this triple LP box set looked too good to pass up.

With the spot varnish finishing on the cover, it looks like the ink is still wet...plus the entire package gives the illusion that each one was individually painted and unique, even though they were most likely mass produced.

Each record comes packed in a white cardboard sleeve, that looks like it had been individually tagged with the stencil as well. Nice touch.

Red, white, and black vinyl completes the look.

2 comments:

J@screamingforrecords said...

Kill em all through to death magnetic?? An outrageous statement sir. My mates got this box set though and whilst I've got no interest in it myself it looks fantastic visually, even better than your photos suggest.

Mike said...

Truth. You'll find me spinning St. Anger and the two Load records every once in a while. They can't compare to the classic first three, but I still think they are great records.