Sunday, December 01, 2013

Finally Got That Supertouch

In the early 90's, when I was just really getting into Hardcore, everyone seemed to be talking about how great Supertouch was. I'd fallen in love with all the bands on Revelation Records, and when the label released The Earth Is Flat, I quickly bought a copy on CD. When I popped it in the CD player, and hit play, my first thought was something along the lines of "What the fuck is this?". I hated it, and quickly shelved it next to my other disappointments at that time, like 7 Seconds' Soulforce Revolution and Leeway's Desperate Measures.

Times change, and sometimes those albums that you left to collect dust years ago, will sneak up and surprise you years later. Over the past couple of years, I have finally grown to truly appreciate that Supertouch album, and watching the band play those songs live at REV25 in New York last year put them on another level.

By the time REV announced that they were repressing the Supertouch LP on colored vinyl, I was so tired of their reissues, that I turned my back on the latest bunch. My resolve managed to last a good week before I broke down. I didn't own this album on vinyl, and goddamn, that blue vinyl and gatefold sleeve looked too good to let it pass me by.

550 on blue vinyl.

3 comments:

Pim said...

Great record from an awesome band.

Looking forward to hear the new tracks when they're done recording. And then they need to come back to Europe.

Anonymous said...

Wait, wait, wait!

You don't like Leeway "Desperate Measures"? Crazy.

Mike said...

Back in the early 90's, I didn't really care for it that much. I wanted my NYHC to sound like Sick Of It All, Killing Time and Cro-Mags. Desperate Measures sounded too "modern", whatever that may mean, and it just wasn't "hardcore" enough for me. These days...yeah, I'm a fan.