Sunday, July 14, 2013

Getting Naked

I've got a stack of old 7 inch records that never got properly filed away when I built my Music Room five years ago. Some of the records in this pile are things that I bought when I was first getting into Hardcore and have been tossed aside and forgotten. I've been slowly working through them over the past year or so, and I've uncovered some long lost gems...among them is the first Naked Angels 7 inch.

When I dug it out of the pile, I expected to give it a quick listen and then probably file it away for another 20 years. To my surprise, I absolutely loved it. There is nothing mind blowing here...just Hardcore from the early 90's, played with the passion of youth.

After listening to the record, I thought it would be fun to check out what eBay had to offer for the band. Since I'd only heard the Real Hardline record, I was hopeful to find something else from the band...when my eBay search returned three different variants to the record that I already owned, I suddenly became obsessed with owning them all.

The first copy of the record that I picked up on eBay was the black vinyl copy with the blue cover.

I got pretty excited when I found the gold colored vinyl pressing. I have no idea if it was rare or not, but it is the only piece of colored vinyl that I'd seen for this record. I'm sure that if I'd waited, I might have been able to score this record at a lower price than the $10 starting price for the auction, but I didn't want to take that chance. I placed my bid, and wasn't surprised to find that I was the only one interested.

I decided to show a bit more patience with the black vinyl. The seller had it listed with a Buy It Now option of $10. It wasn't listed with a Best Offer option, but after seeing it not sell, and get relisted a few times, I sent a message to the seller. I explained that I doubted that the record was worth the price tag he had it listed as, but if he wanted to drop the price, I would be interested. He replied right back, telling me that he'd had been trying to sell it for a while, and gladly accepted my offer. Sold.

The pressing info on these records is a mystery to me, which kind of enticed me to buy the three new copies. It is an unknown, and each different record is another clue that brings me closer to solving the riddle. Is this collection complete? I may never know.

1 comment:

Guav said...

Other than a test press, you have every variant.