Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Early 90's Intent

You may be aware of a new band that is kicking around these days called Intent. Great band, and if you haven't heard their No Rules demo from last year, you are missing out. But until they put out an actual record, the name Intent will belong to a Texas Hardcore band from the early 90's.

You know that I've got a soft spot for that early 90's Hardcore, and discovering records that I'd never heard back in the day, is like uncovering some long lost treasure. Now I'd had Intent's Drift 12 inch from '92 since it's initial release, but I'd never come across the band's first 7 inch. You know the story, sometimes in those pre-internet days some records were just never made available to you for one reason or another...then as time goes by, they get forgotten. While blasting through that Drift 12 inch recently, it dawned on me that I'd never heard the 7 inch. No surprise that I couldn't find a download anywhere...nope, if I wanted to hear it, I was going to have to buy it. There was a copy on eBay with a $17.00 Buy It Now price tag, but I was pretty confident that only douchebags would try and sell a copy for that much, so I sat and played the waiting game. Thankfully, someone with more sense posted another copy for auction, and as I expected I was the only bidder.

I was pretty happy to grab a copy of the 7 inch off eBay for $5.00, and even more thrilled that the one I got was an "extra". Number 506 out of 500 pressed.

3 comments:

mcs said...

I have this. Don't remember what it sounds like, but I seem to remember that I much preferred the 12".

What color do you have the 12" on by the way? Mine's a dark red, but I think it also comes on blue.

Mike said...

Yeah, the 12 inch is much better than this 7 inch, but this record still captures the sound of the bands from that time.

My copy of the 12 inch is on black. I was watching a colored copy on ebay a year or so ago, but I'd spent so much at the time that I passed on it. Yeah, I regret that.

XhcnoirX said...

This 7" was also released, with a different cover, on Redemption Records.

There was also an Intent around in Albany at the same time, early band of Nate from Monster X/Gloom Records. Not as good as this Intent, but worthwhile checking out as well.