Sunday, November 25, 2012

Legendary Witchcraft

When I heard that Witchcraft were releasing a new album this year, it immediately moved to the top of my most anticipated albums of 2012 list. When I first heard this band back in 2007, I fell in love with them. The comparisons to Black Sabbath were undeniable, and we all know how much I love Sabbath.

As soon as I saw the album was available to order, I didn't hesitate to buy a copy...overseas shipping fees be damned!

The first few songs come crashing off the vinyl with doomy brilliance, and I am in awe. Holy shit, this album owns me. Then things settle down into more of a rocking sound, kind of like Graveyard. Still good, but not as powerful as the first half. And while the whole thing is not as strong as Firewood or The Alchemist, you'd be a fool to dismiss this album. Easily one of my favorite Metal releases this year.

Again, Nuclear Blast puts the hand numbered sticker on the shrink wrap of a gatefold LP. Frustration. Thankfully they remove easily enough, and can be applied to the poly sleeve I use for storage.

Along with the Legend LP, Nuclear Blast also had the It's Not Because Of You single available for order. Limited to 250 on green vinyl.

This single is worth the price paid for the non-LP track, Take Me With You When You Die. B-side songs on the single are typically throw away songs. Not this time around. The song is amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More comparable to Pentagram than Black Sabbath, even Witchcraft have acknowledged that...

Mike said...

I can see that, given that Witchcraft covered a Pentagram song. Still, when I first heard the Firewood album, all I could hear was that ozzy/sabbath influence.