Sunday, January 29, 2012

Judas Priest Painkiller

A couple months ago, I went to see Judas Priest in concert. The Epitaph tour. It is supposed to be their last tour, and quite possibly it was my last chance to see them live. Since I'd only seen them one other time, I was really looking forward to catching them again. The setlist was pretty cool, as they played at least one song from each of their Halford albums. Halford's voice isn't what it once was, but to see the band do songs like Never Satisfied, Beyond The Realms of Death, Starbreaker, and Blood Red Skies...it was pretty fucking awesome. For me, the highlight of the show was Night Crawler from the Painkiller LP. It was an unexpected surprise, and kicked the ass of those standard songs that Priest feel the need to play over and over and over.

Back on Black recently repressed the majority of Judas Priest's catalog on vinyl...skipping Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings, and ignoring the Ripper years. Last Christmas, I picked up a vinyl copy of one of Priest's last classic albums, Painkiller. Damn, this album is so good. It doesn't compete with their 70's output, but it sure tops what they were doing with Turbo. Unlike my past purchases of Back on Black titles, I didn't get this one on colored vinyl. There was a limited pressing on red vinyl, and I was disappointed to open mine and see it was on black vinyl. Oh well, it still feels good to finally own this on vinyl.

1 comment:

Mark-Sandwell said...

Yeah, not all the back on black stuff is on colour, which is a shame. If it has a sticker on the front then it usually is but since I get most of mine via mailorder, it's a gamble.