Monday, January 09, 2012

Boogadaboogadaboogada

There was a period in my life when I took music very seriously. It needed to deliver a heavy message at all times, and I had no time for any band that would have been considered silly. 24 year old me would have probably had no tolerance for Screeching Weasel. I listened to a lot of shitty music in the mid-90's, but as long as they were saying something, I could pretend that I liked it. Thankfully, I'm not so uptight anymore, and while I think the message is still important, I can enjoy a band that really just wants to have fun.

Screeching Weasel don't care about Nicaragua. They hate Led Zeppelin, believe in UFOs and wanna be naked...and because of this, their second album, Boogadaboogadaboogada, absolutely rules. Fast and senseless punk rock.

It wasn't until this past year that I'd even heard Boogadaboogadaboogada. Sure, I had their split with Born Against, but I was never too interested in really checking them out. I'm a part of a group on last.fm called the Album of the Month Club. Just handful of people that are interested in discussing punk and hardcore. Each month someone will suggest an album for the group to listen to, and we'll all discuss. One month, Boogadaboogadaboogada was the album of choice. My expectations were set pretty low, but I downloaded the album anyway. 10 minutes into it I knew it was a keeper. The energy on this is incredibly infectious. While it's playing I can't sit still, and feel the urge to bounce around the room like an idiot. I knew that I needed to hunt down a copy.

The album was repressed a few different times, and I was content to grab a copy that Recess Records back in 2008. 500 pressed on grey colored vinyl.

6 comments:

Mark-Sandwell said...

I have a spare of the UK pressing Mike, if you have anything for trade. It's got a different and much better cover.
It's a damn good album. I got a copy when it very first came out. Many moons ago.

Carlos said...

Hey Mike.. I made that post on the Album of The Month in last.fm hahaa Im glad you listened it, indeed its a mindblowing album.. everytime I listen to that record is from 1st track to the last one with no stops! I bought a cheap copy from the Lookout 1992 repress (green cover)

Mike said...

Mark, thanks for the offer, but one copy is enough for me...right now.

Carlos, yeah, I thought it was you that requested it. One of the best surprises from that group. We dropped members that hadn't been around for a while, but you are more than welcome if you ever want to come back.

Code Red said...

I love this album. Only have it on CD but it gets regular workouts to and from work, great way to wind down after a day dealing with petulant teenagers.

Mike said...

I bought the CD about 6 months ago, as there was a distro that had it for sale for about $4. When I saw the vinyl for sale recently I couldn't help but pick up a copy on this format as well.

matt said...

Love this record. You should give The Queers "Love Songs For The Retarded" if you liked Boogadaboogadaboogada. Thats another fun one.