Thursday, December 22, 2011

REACT! Showcase 2011

I love a good Hardcore fest. A day spent checking out bands and cruising merch tables...it sounds like a perfect day to me. Unfortunately I was not going to be able to travel to California for the REACT! Showcase this year...and it is doubtful that I'll ever be able to...but thankfully Aram put the leftover box sets up in the REACT! webstore for those of us that couldn't make it.

Last year, Aram and crew put together a 7 inch box set for the Showcase. For 2011, he went bigger and did one with the last five REACT! LPs.

The box itself is thick and heavy, with a screened front and back. You can't help but be impressed with the level of quality.

The LP box set is limited to 100, with all the records on black vinyl. I assume that the 100 was pulled from the regular black vinyl run for each LP. If I'm correct, then the pressing for the black vinyl on each release would be adjusted, allowing for 100 to be used with the box set.

Inside the box, you have all five LP's bound together, a special issue of Effort Fanzine, all the essays and downloads included with the regular LPs, plus some assorted stickers.

Each LP is housed in only a dust sleeve which is stamped with the band's logo. Looks like I ended up owning a copy of the Skin Like Iron LP after all. I've given it a few spins since I've received this box set, but it has still failed to move me in any way.

The issue of Effort Fanzine that is included is a tribute to all things REACT!. Everyone related to the label is interviewed in this thing...Aram, those that help keep the label running smooth, the bands, even those that help design the records...we hear from everyone. Effort always had great interviews, and while this one keeps things brief, it is still very well done. Worth it for the Ole Johnson interview alone, where he talks about all he went through in designing the Together LP for Get The Most. Such a great story.

Another quality release from REACT!. Now I've just got to get my hands on those special 7 inch pressings that REACT! handed out to the first 88 people at the Showcase.

No comments: