Saturday, December 03, 2011

Back On Track

A couple of years ago, I caught Backtrack at the Triple B Showcase. It was my introduction to the band, and 2 minutes into their set, I hated them. The dancefloor was dominated by guys that wanted to throw punches and practice their karate kicks, and nothing ruins the good vibe of a show faster than that for me. To me, Backtrack were just another tough guy band, playing a style of Hardcore that I couldn't hang with. Then I heard their song Soul Sucker on the America's Hardcore compilation and I started to change my mind. I downloaded the songs from their Deal With The Devil EP, and to my surprise, I was really liking it.

When Reaper Records announced the preorders for the new Backtrack LP, Darker Half, I was immediately interested. The album was available in a couple different package deals with options for hats and shirts...but I didn't care for any of that. I just wanted the vinyl. I went with the least limited option, but at least the vinyl looked good. 1,000 pressed on black and white split.

I'm loving the album. Such a great NYHC sound. I managed to catch the band live again a couple weeks ago, with Take Offense. Yes, the dancefloor was still full of bros looking beatdown...seriously, there was one point where one of the bands was playing nothing but guitar feedback, but this one guys was still throwing punches like it was a huge mosh breakdown...it was laughable. Either way, I was able to have a much better appreciation of Backtrack's set. Great band.

The record comes with a big lyric sheet, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it reminds me of the cover from first Sick Of It All album.

5 comments:

sajid said...

Hey Mike, I've been following your blog for awhile now but this is my first comment. I was in the exact same boat as you, I also wrote off a lot of these bands with that hard, tough guy vibe goin on. But listening to the America's Hardcore comp really opened my eyes to a lot of great bands that I wouldn't otherwise check out. I recently got around to checking out a lot of stuff from Reaper Records that I initially wrote off and it turns out it's some of the best current stuff out there!

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Mark-Sandwell said...

I agree with you and Sajid. I also thought they were just some crappy tough guy band (like trapped under ice and most of the other crap reaper put out) but I picked up their 7" recently and loved it. The LP is awesome . I haven't got a copy yet but it's on my shopping list.

Wade said...

never judge a band by the cookie cutter label they fit in to. they would probably all be your favorite bands otherwise. in other news, backtrack has been great since they started back with the demo. they've just gotten better and better.

Across Your Face said...

i also opted for it on black/white label... since the album is named "darker half", i thought the concept vinyl color was too cool to pass up

Mike said...

Darker Half...split black and white vinyl...wow, how did I not pick up on that connection before? Ha ha ha....nice!