Friday, November 11, 2011

National Metal Day

11/11/11. National Metal Day. I don't need a designated day to celebrate Metal, but I will take advantage of it to put up a Metal post. Jag Panzer has been around for nearly 30 years, waving the Metal flag, so if anyone deserves a Metal Day post, it is this band.

To be honest, I don't know much about Jag Panzer. I had previously downloaded a couple of their albums, Ample Destruction from 1984, and Age of Mastery from 1998...good solid traditional Metal albums, but I hadn't really spent a lot of time with them. The band released The Scourge Of The Light this year, and it was getting some favorable reviews so I figured that I'd check it out. I listened to it a couple of times, and I really wasn't feeling the Power Metal vibe. I was convinced that I'd probably be deleting the files, but a few weeks later, as I was running through my ipod 2011 playlist on shuffle, one of the Jag Panzer songs came on and it suddenly clicked. Sure it wasn't built on speed like my favorite Thrash Metal staples, but I couldn't deny the power and influence of my childhood favorites of Maiden and Priest. I was hooked on this album.

The band broke up shortly after this release. Upon hearing the news, I skipped out of work and picked this up on CD from my local record store. Then last month, when I was searching eBay for some Jag Panzer vinyl, I noticed that the price tag on the new album was around $30...with the exception of one eBay store that had it listed for $15. For such a good price, I couldn't resist and bought a copy.

Limited edition green vinyl.

1 comment:

TheMetalAdvisor said...

Cool record, isn't it? I also have this green beauty. You ought to check out Thane to the Throne, which is a few albums back from this one. It's a fantastic concept album based on Shakespeare's Macbeth.