Thursday, March 31, 2011

No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith

As a kid, there was something about Hammersmith. For music in the early 80's, it seemed like it was THE place to play. It spawned Motorhead's No Sleep Til Hammersmith (which strangely enough, wasn't actually recorded in Hammersmith), plus side D of Iron Maiden's Live After Death album, which gave us Bruce's trademark line of "Scream for me Hammersmith!" Two classics that made quite the impression on this 15 year old kid.


Now, Black Sabbath release their Live At Hammersmith Odeon album on vinyl for the first time.


Back in 2007 Rhino Handmade released this live recording on CD. Limited to 5,000, this sold out quickly. The day after I received mine in the mail they were popping up on ebay for over $100 a piece. The vinyl is more limited, with only 3,000 pressed although I don't expect the demand to be as great.


This three record set is from the '82 Mob Rules tour...just like Sabbath's Live Evil album. This recording doesn't include Sign of the Southern Cross, but it is nice to hear live versions of Country Girl and Slipping Away. A nice addition to my Sabbath collection.

2 comments:

mcs said...

As you would know if you had kept my shipping address on file (ha!), I work in Hammersmith. And yes, it's quite the place. I regularly bump into Bruce Dickinson, Tony Iommi and Lemmy down the shops on my lunchbreak.

Mike said...

It is just like I imagined it as a kid. Amazing.

Actually the Hammersmith part is the only thing that I remember for your address...oh yeah, and something about you working at someone's house, so imagine you as a butler or something.