Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ghost of Slumber

Rise Above Records released the Opus Eponymous LP from Ghost at the end of 2010, and it quickly became one of my favorite Metal albums from last year. Obtaining a vinyl copy became quite a struggle. Shortly after they went up for sale on the Rise Above site, the first press of 800 records was sold out. My local record store listed the record as on backorder, but they special ordered me a copy. The second press of 600 from Rise Above sold out just as quick, and yet I still didn't have a copy. By the time the third press went up for sale, I couldn't wait anymore...despite the crazy overseas shipping costs, I took matters into my own hands and placed an order direct with the label.


Like the Sick Of It All record from Marcus, this order took about two months to arrive. Does the UK postal service suck that bad? 300 pressed on clear vinyl for the third pressing. Fourth pressing is now sold out.


I can't even begin to describe what this band sounds like. People tend to make comparisons with Mercyful Fate, but Ghost aren't as easy to define as that. They are really just a band that you have to listen to for yourself. Check the video for Ritual here.


Since I was placing an overseas order, I felt like I needed more than just the one record. It seemed as though the Gates Of Slumber LP was the only one that Rise Above had in stock that I was interested. This album was a grower for me, but with each listen I'm loving this album more and more.

300 pressed on transparent grey vinyl.

4 comments:

Mark-Sandwell said...

I shudder to think how much that ended up costing, rise above charge the earth just for postage within the UK never mind anywhere else. Still you had to own a copy of the ghost LP so it had to be done.

Mike said...

It was around $80 for the two records...ouch. Worth it for that Ghost LP though.

Mark-Sandwell said...

I got four different colours of it from my local store but missed out on the die hard box-that's going for daft money now.

Mike said...

I noticed that my local record store has a copy of the Ghost LP. $20. I may have to pick it up just because of the price tag.