Monday, February 21, 2011

Close Call

I'm not too familiar with Close Call. I've had their Someone Talked CD for a while, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the live at least once...but I've still never been that interested in them. Good solid hardcore, but still, the I never really paid too close attention to the band. A few months ago, I won the Step Forward/Waste Management pack from someone on ebay...after I won, I took a look to see what else they were selling, and picked up a couple Close Call 7 inches for around $5 each.

I believe the Too Close 7 inch was the band's first from 1999. This one is on red vinyl with the record release sleeve.

The record release was limited to 26, so instead of the standard numbering system, Close Call used the alphabet instead. I ended up with number 10 of 26...or J/Z. Awesome. I've got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.

The other Close Call 7 inch that I picked up for cheap was The Miller Sessions that was released on Painkiller Records. 339 pressed...all on yellow vinyl.

Of course the big selling point on this record was the screened b-side. An octopus on the head of a gorilla. How awesome is that? The answer is VERY awesome.

Sure, I was lured in by how unique each of these pressings were, but both of these records ended up being really good. I'm glad that I picked them up.

2 comments:

HUANSOAHN said...

could you make a rip of those miller sessions?

cheers

It_Follows said...

You summed up Close Call perfectly- good, solid band. They have their catchy moments, probably should have gotten a little more attention than they did; but in the end, three good ep's.

Jon/itfollowshc.blogspot.com