Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Triple B Weekend: Part 2 - Welfare Records

The Triple B Showcase was held at Anchors Up, in Haverhill, Massachusetts. It is a great place for shows, and as an added bonus, Welfare Records is upstairs. Concentrating on used vinyl, the store has plenty of hardcore, punk, and metal vinyl. I've browsed the store before, when I've come down for other shows, but I've never bought anything prior to this weekend. After seeing the lack of vinyl at the Triple B Showcase, I knew that I'd be dropping some cash in the record store.
I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Ozzy's first solo album, Blizzard of Ozz, for years. A while back, he re-issues this classic album and had the bass and drum track re-recorded so that he wouldn't have to pay royalties to those that helped bring him back from the brink of destruction. One dick move in a long line of fucking people over. Still, this album is amazing, and grouped with his second solo album, Diary of a Madman, it makes a hell of a comeback for a man that holed himself up in a dark hotel room and nearly drank himself to death. Too bad that hotel room wasn't available to stop him from releasing so much crap after The Ultimate Sin LP and turning into a pathetic cartoon character.
Yeah, I'm a huge metalhead from the 80's, and I love adding early Metal Blade releases to my record collection. I just took a look at the Metal Blade discography and realized that I still haven't heard some of their early releases. I'm a poser. I've always loved Lizzy Borden, and didn't hesitate to pick up the still sealed copy of Give 'Em The Axe for $8.00. Classic.

I can remember how excited I was when I heard about the first Amendment 18 LP. Guys from Outspoken, Insted, and the singer for Chorus...holy shit, I could not wait to hear this album. I picked up the CD at Newbury Comics, while it didn't come close to the greatness of the member's previous bands, it was still a good album. I recently ordered the New Age re-issues of this album and when Paul pulled this original pressing from the rack at Welfare, I quickly snatched it from him. Red vinyl and limited to 500.

The last record that I found when I was getting ready to check out was Dead Stop's Done With You LP. Man, I have been trying to track down a vinyl copy of this for the longest time. I always come up empty with my eBay searches, and the one time that I found it online, through the Powered Records webstore, they ended up reimbursing me the cash because it ended up being sold out. I'm so happy to finally have a copy of this album.

1 comment:

David H said...

I really like Amendment 18 and never see anyone discuss that band.