Saturday, November 14, 2009

Deluxe and Limited Pressings

Nick Mango recently contacted me about a new feature that he was working on called hoverboard. Hoverboard is basically a messageboard for blogs on his limitedpressing.com site. He was looking to feature some blogs that he personally reads all the time or are popular, and he wanted to know if I would be interested in having The One Thing That Still Holds True participate. I thought that it sounded like a cool idea, and he is doing some cool new things with limitedpressing.com, so I figured what the hell, and jumped aboard. The funny thing is that Nick mentioned that so far the only people that he had contributing were Straight Edge dudes, like myself, Marcus from Endless Quest, and Justin from Stuck In The Past, and he was hoping to get some possible non-edge guys in there as well. So with that, and a hacking cough from Sweet Leaf, I'll bring a decidedly non-edge post with Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality.
I finally picked up the deluxe vinyl pressing of Sabbath's classic Master Of Reality. As far as I know, only the first three Black Sabbath albums are being released in this double LP deluxe format, so if that is the case, this is the last one that I needed. The pricing on these records have been pretty erratic. The self titled first album was $20, Paranoid was $30, and finally Master Of Reality was $25. Strange. It's not like the Paranoid album contains any extra packaging than the first Sabbath album. Either way, Master Of Reality is a monster of a record, and with the bonus outtakes and alternate versions included on this pressing, this is a must for the Sabbath completist.

I know that I've previously stated that Paranoid was my favorite Sabbath album, but from looking at my complete vinyl collection, I would have to say that Masters Of Reality is the clear winner.

3 comments:

Alternate 1995 said...

that's a whole lot of sabbath. wow.

I wonder if they priced them according to cd sales. The more the cd sales the more the vinyl cost. Don't know much about sabbath sales, just tossing out the possibility.

Malc said...

Nice collection but you missed one giant Sabbath album

"Sabotage"

Mike said...

I know, Malc. Somehow, I've just never picked one up on vinyl...maybe it is because of Bill Ward's bright red pants. ha ha ha. It is one of my favorites too!