Sunday, October 18, 2009

Edge Day 2009

The Edge Day show this year was both a ton of fun and a huge disappointment. The show itself was a blast. Rob, Paul and I drove down to Massachusetts yesterday, and compared to our previous roadtrip to Toronto, this drive flew by and before we knew it, we were at the club. It was complete chaos trying to get into the show, as the club kept redirecting the lines to get inside. Pat Flynn started off organizing everyone, and seemed to have everything well in hand, and then the people running the club continued to move the lines about 5 or 6 times...moving people from one side of the building to other. By the time they wanted all 1,500 people to organize into a single file line, the crowd lost any semblance of order and started getting unruly and crowd surfing. We were at the front of the line, so we were one of the first ones inside, and therefore were amongst the crowd of 50 that got to see No Tolerance play their set. I was really looking forward to checking them out and they did not disappoint. Waste Management, Rival Mob, Step Forward, Foundation and Cruel Hand all played fantastic sets as well, but the highlight of my evening was when Sweet Pete took the mic and they started ripping through a handful of In My Eyes songs. In My Eyes is one of my favorite hardcore bands of all time, and I went off for Pete and his makeshift band...stagediving left and right, and taking the microphone from him to sing along (I'm in the photo above, next to Pete, with the No For An Answer shirt). By the time Bane and Have Heart hit the stage, I was pretty beat and had to work myself to the back of the crowd for each of their sets. All in all it was a great send off, for a great Straight Edge band. Have Heart, R.I.P.
The big disappointment was the lack of a Have Heart Last Show vinyl pressing. Once inside, I rushed to the merch tables, but no one had any limited Edge Day vinyl...I was pretty bummed. Given the number of special covers and tour presses Have Heart has for their records, I was really looking forward to something really epic for their last show. The only piece of vinyl that I picked up was a tour pressing for the Foundation 7 inch on Six Feet Under. This record really impresses, sounding like it came straight out of the early 90's hardcore scene. Comparable to Unbroken's Ritual LP, or maybe Chokehold's Prison of Hope. I'm liking it.

3 comments:

AdRock said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed--awesome show, even though I didn't get in till near the end of Foundation. As for merch, don't forget the hilarious Foundation t-shirt: on the front, "Which member of Have Heart will be the first to break edge next year?" with all the band members' names on the back with check boxes in front of them. Ha!

mcs said...

Man, major jealousy here! I so wish I could have been there just to see the In My Eyes songs. How many songs did they play & who was in the band aside from Sweet Pete?

Mike said...

To be honest Marcus, I'm not sure who made up the band. I know that the drummer plays guitar for Cruel Hand, but that's it. I was so out of my mind with excitement that I can't even remember a lot of the details...I think they did 5 or 6 songs.