Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Don't Fear The Reaper

The vinyl for the ON LP was a split release between React Records and Reaper Records (not to mention a Euro release from Powered Records), and both labels had their own pre-order colors pressed. Needless to say, between the three record labels, I spent a ton of money the day that pre-orders went up. The first to arrive was a huge order from React, but I soon heard that numerous people had received their Reaper orders weeks earlier. I still hadn't seen mine, so I fired off an email to Patrick from Reaper Records to ask him if my order had shipped. I'm not sure what had happened, and I was getting a little paranoid after my Alert 7 inches didn't arrive from Life to Live Records, but a couple of days later Patrick replied...apologizing and promising to send it out right away. Not sure if he didn't mail it the first time around, or if the Post Office black hole sucked into another dimension to keep my Alert records company. Either way, Patrick responded quickly and within a couple of days, I had my Reaper pressing for the ON Double Vision LP. I thought that originally it was going to be on clear vinyl, but it seems there was a change of plans and it was pressed on a nice looking grey wax.
In addition to the ON vinyl, Reaper also threw in a copy of the new Maximum Penalty LP. To be honest, I wasn't really familiar with the band. Yeah, I knew that they were on the Where The Wild Things Are comp, but I've never really paid any attention to them. In fact, other than Gorilla Biscuits and Breakdown, and can't really tell you who else is on that comp. For New York Hardcore comps, I was drawn more to The Way It Is, so I never really paid it much attention. So back to Maximum Penalty...the sticker on the cover states that it was produced by the same guy that did albums from Lamb of God and Ill Nino...which was a big load of "who the fuck cares" to me. Seriously, it really lowered my expectations for this album. I'm not a fan of "tough guy" hardcore with a metal influence, and I was really not excited for this album. I convinced myself to give it a shot, and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a Hatebreed/Terror style of hardcore that I expected, but reminded me more of Leeway. Not bad. I'm still not entirely comfortable with some of the singing on this album, but really, it's not bad. Packaging on this is top notch and the vinyl comes with a slick looking download card, but you have to download one song at a time which is a pain in the ass.

6 comments:

Wade said...

i need to get the reaper version of the ON lp. i heard the new maximum penalty is dope.

luciferyellow said...

I am a BIG Maximum Penalty fan and I think that new album is decent, but really their early stuff (the 89 demo and "East side story") is where it is at for me. To me their 2 tracks on "Where the wild things are" were some of the best on that whole record (yeah and Breakdown was pretty sick, too). MP had some rather horrible, overproduced and really forgettable albums in the 90s, but for those 2 early EPs alone they will always have a spot near and dear to my heart ;-)

Doug W said...

Damn man, I thought this was going to be a post on Blue Oyster Cult.

I would like to see a post on the "Some Enchanted Evening" lp. Best live album ever made. I was 8 years old when that came out. Cover scared the shit out of me.

Mike said...

Man, I love the first three Blue Oyster Cult albums (hence the title for this post). For a live album, I'd go with On Your Feet Or On Your Knees. :)

HARD ASS RECORDS said...

New MP is the best NYHC release in a decade. Jim's vocals are out of this world... he sings like that on all their material, so unique! Live they sound just like on the record too.

Pim said...

That new MP album is good. Probably record of the year, for me that is.