Monday, September 21, 2009

We're Gonna Rise Above

Back in April, I set myself up with a project. My mission was to listen to all of the music that I have downloaded for free and burned to CD over the past 10 years or so. I would give it a fair listen, and if I decided that it wasn't something that I would ever purchase, it went right into the trash. I had over 800 burned CD's in my collection, so this was not going to be a quick and easy task. So, from April through August, these burned CDs were all that I would listen to...starting at Abhinanda and ending with ZZ Top...tossing out over 100 pieces of shit like Dashboard Confessional and Static-X, and buying CDs of those that I wanted to keep like Dead Kennedys and Van Halen. At one point, I had no problem downloading free music, but no more. If I like it, I buy it. It is going to take some time to clear up the remaining 700 burned CDs that I still have, but I'll keep chipping away at it each month and make my record and CD collection more respectable.
My latest attempt to clear out some of those ugly CDRs came from an order to Rise Above Records. I've wanted to get my hands on Witchcraft's The Alchemist LP for some time now, but having to order from overseas was a bitch on shipping. I finally got to the point where I didn't care about pricing...I wanted this. The album is now on it's fourth pressing, and has been released on numerous colors, which now go for a hefty price on eBay. Rise Above had some of the third pressing available, so I went for it. I had the choice between green or purple vinyl, but I went for the "black sparkle". It is a very cool black vinyl pressing with bits of glitter in the wax. Nice. The band rocks a heavy Sabbath vibe, and I'm loving this album more and more with each listen. Seriously, this record is so good that I want to go back and order a couple more colors. Yeah, maybe when I've got an extra $100 burning a hole in my bank account.

The other album that I bought was the Gentlemans Pistols LP. Marcus introduced me to this band about a year ago (check it here), and as soon as I heard them, I was in love. Definite 70's rock influence that's got some serious hooks. Man, I remember being so excited when I first heard this band...it was just before I was headed up to bed one night, and after listening to one of their songs on myspace, I was too excited to fall asleep and tossed and turned for a while. Since it took me so long to finally place this order, I missed out on the colored vinyl, but fuck it, the black vinyl is limited to 200, just like the yellow pressing, so who cares.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that Gentlemans Pistols lp is not limited on black vinyl, when I was their driver/merch guy last year, I sold at least 300 of them on black over the course of about 18 months.