Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dead To Me

My friend, Rob, recently bought a Dead Swans shirt from Bridge Nine and as part of a package deal, he got a copy of the band's 7 inch as well. Since Rob doesn't really have any use for vinyl, he passed it along to me. This wasn't a band that I would have actively searched out and bought anything from, so I'm glad that I got this free 7 inch as my introduction. Neither good, nor bad for me, this one just fails to really make an impression on me. I've listened to it 3 or 4 times now, and while it is some rough hardcore in the same vein as Ruiner, Dead Swans quickly become background music and has me looking forward to the next record that I'll get to play. Maybe it's because this 7 inch ends with such a bad song. I've never heard the original version of My Bloody Valentine's When You Sleep, and after hearing Dead Swans cover it, I know that I never need to. Such a bad song that can easily be ruining the entire listening experience for me. Hey, at least Bridge Nine is now putting exclusive songs on their 7 inch records that prepare fans for the bands upcoming LP. I guess that is a positive, even if they are shitty covers of My Bloody Valentine.

2 comments:

Wade said...

this band im a fan of. this band on b9 im not a fan of. it's the wrong label for them.

NOT SORRY said...

My Bloody Valentine is a far better band than Dead Swans will ever hope to be. If you've never heard MBV, I suggest you listen to them before making a decision based on a cover by a 3rd rate American Nightmare rip.