Monday, June 01, 2009

Record Fair : The Way It Is

There was a Record Fair in Portland yesterday. I haven't been to one locally for probably over 15 years, so I was eager to check it out...and hopefully by showing my support, they will occur more frequently. The only problem was that I couldn't find anyone to go with me...Rob was headed out of town, and Jeff was working. It had been a busy last few days with the family, so I said screw it, and just went in town by myself for a little break.
When I found the place, I was surprised at how busy it was. It was a good sized room, and each table was lined up with people flipping through old vinyl. I found a section labeled Heavy Metal, and started my search. It was a little disappointing. There were plenty of cool records, but most of them were beat to shit. I've got no interest in large amounts of ring wear and busted seams, so I moved on. I found a table with a Punk section, and was surprised to find a copy of The Way It Is. The cover had a bent corner, but you hardly notice it....plus the vinyl and insert were in near mint condition. I've never actually owned this record...only had it taped from a friends copy...and I didn't hesitate to pick it up for the $6.00 price tag.

I also found a very nice copy of the Rites of Spring LP. I already owned this one from the End To End discography CD, but I figured that I'd add it to the vinyl collection since it was only $4.00.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Way It Is is a comp that I never get tired of, it's so perfect (except the YDL song). Best Bold recordings on here, plus; I think Mike Judge recorded with YOT on "Understand"! Awesome.

mcs said...

'The Way It Is' is one of those records that just grabbed me. It used to be in the window of a record store over here when I was just getting into hardcore. At the time I had a few Rev records, but had never seen this comp. I remember seeing the cover in the window & thinking "that looks cool, I want it"... but back then I was a poor student with very little money and for some reason buying an LP that I didn't know anything about seemed like a risk. I remember seeing the record several times & really wanting it but just not having the balls to buy it. I also remember being out with my friend one night and just turning to him and saying "Tomorrow I'm going to buy that New York Hardcore compilation". Haha! Seems so funny now to consider buying a record for a few weeks.
There's still something about that cover that casts some kind of spell over me... it sums it all up perfectly.