Thursday, June 11, 2009

Me...You...Youth Crew

The first round of Youth Crew peaked in 1988 with bands like Youth of Today, Judge, Side by Side, and Chain of Strength. 10 years later we got our first revival with more classic bands like In My Eyes, Floorpunch, Ten Yard Fight and Fastbreak. So here we are in 2009, and what better time for another wave of Youth Crew bands. Sure we had Champion, Betrayed and The First Step a few years ago, but these days it's Youth Crew Gone Wild, with bands popping up all over the place. Upside Down Records tries to capture some of that excitement with their Youth Crew 2009 7 inch comp. Featuring some of today's newest up and comers, like Right Idea, True Colors, Mindset, and Fired Up, plus some newer bands that I've never heard before, like Go For Broke and One Voice. All in, this is a very solid comp...it is no The Way It Is or Growing Stronger, but it's a great representation of today's Youth Crew hardcore. I ordered my copy a little late and therefore missed the limited pressing on orange vinyl. Black vinyl was limited to 300.
When my record arrived, Upside Down also threw in a copy of their first release, the split 7 inch between Lighten Up and Big Ups. I really wasn't expecting anything from this...terrible band names, and even worse cover art for the record...but this was surprisingly good. I'm not sure why, but this reminds me of something that Lockin Out would have released back in 2003. Cool stuff. On blue vinyl, but I don't know the pressing info for this.


1 comment:

Nab/JSY said...

the comp is pretty much a US version of the european Youth Crew 2008 comp on Positive and focused records; pretty much the same bands and same songs. I like this cover better though.

The guys in Go For Broke are the ones behind Effort Fanzine. Check out the guitarist's other band: BALANCE.
Hard hitting SxE Youth Crew ala Brotherhood/Judge on Not Just Words records. One of the best euro bands at the moment.