Friday, July 07, 2006

Fourth of July in Paris

I was originally going to travel to Massachusetts on the Fifth for Have Heart, but since the show in Maine was closer and I didn't have anything planned for the Fourth, I decided to hit the show in South Paris instead. It was a last minute decision, so I didn't bother checking to see if Rob or Paul wanted to go, plus I assumed that they probably already had plans. The flier said the show started at 5:00, but the first band didn't start until around 6:30 or 7:00, so I took a walk around town to kill some time. The first band never said their name, so I don't know who they were, but I wasn't into them at all. Then The Doldrums went on, and I wasn't feeling them either. Great, the show starts late and the first two bands suck...I guess I didn't have to rush out of the house for this one. The Doldrums break a guitar string in the first song...Christ, we have to wait while they get a new guitar. Second song, they break another string...now we have to wait while they string the guitar. I'm hoping they just call it a night and pack it up, but that didn't happen. Wake Up Call goes on next, and I was really excited to see them play. I love their One Eye Open 7 inch, and this was the first time I'd seen them play. Too bad the sound sucked so bad that I could hardly hear the vocals. Oh well, I'd love to see them again. News is out that Sinking Ships had their van breakdown in New York and weren't going to make it. Too bad, I was looking forward to checking them out. Down to Nothing played next, and came out X'd up...played a great set. I had no idea that they were a straight edge band. I had been listening to their 'Save It For The Birds' CD all week, and I was impressed with their set. Have Heart played last, and had to cut their set short. Not nearly as intense as when Rob and I saw them play in Massachusetts with The First Step, but I had a good time singing along.
After buying some merch after the Wake Up Call set, I was surprised to see Sweet Pete was at the show. I spent the rest of the night talking to him between bands. I had a great time talking to him and meeting another kid, Klint, that I had seen at shows for years. Pete and I talked music and basketball. Great time hanging out with him, and it really made the show worth the trip.
Other than the Down to Nothing and Wake Up Call CD's, I also picked up 7 inches from Wake Up Call and Have Heart. I had seen the Wake Up Call demo 7 inch for sale at Newbury's for $6 and was glad to pick it up on blue for $2 at the show. I was also happy to see the orange with blue splatter pressing of the Have Heart 'What Counts' 7 inch. I had tried to order this from MerchNow but they sent me the black vinyl instead, and I had seen this color go for around $10 on eBay. Glad I waited on both of those records and picked them up at a better price and could help the bands on tour.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

that would have been a rad show to see. i want to see have heart pretty bad. im thinking of going to detroit to see them play with verse. and that have heart 7 inch looks awesome. im hopng to pick one up if im able to catch them in detroit.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know this, but thats a funny parody cover taken from Madball's 7" Dropping Many Suckas